“Let Food be Thy Medicine, and Medicine be Thy Food”.
Crucial words, and this recipe is seasonal medicine that will delight your body as well as your palate.
Dandelion greens are the base for this sweet and savory Harvest Salad along with frisee for a textural contrast. Both are bitter greens, and are said to be exceptionally good as an immune booster and blood builder. As the seasons are changing from warm to cold it is the perfect time to begin incorporating more of these healing greens into our diet. The harvest fruits are a delicious counter balance to the deep and bitter flavors of dandelion and frisee. Enjoy the colors and flavors of fall in this light and seasonally celebratory salad.
Serves 2 entree sized salads or 4 appetizers
- 3 Tbs. walnut, pumpkin seed, flax, chia or good quality oil of choice
- 1 Tbs. coconut vinegar, or apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp. prepared mustard – I like Edens brand for it’s simple and wholesome ingredients
- 2 ts. raw organic honey
- salt and pepper to taste
Whisk all ingredients and set aside.
Salad Ingredients & Method
- 2 handfuls of dandelion greens, chopped into inch and a half sized pieces
- ½ head frisee, mildly torn
- ½ fuyu persimmon, thinly sliced
- ¼ small to medium red onion, thinly sliced lengthwise – optional
Toss above ingredients in a bowl with the dressing
- ½ pear, thinly sliced
Toss again lightly, and add:
- 3-4 Tbs. pomegranate seeds
Toss lightly, serve on plates and top with:
- coarsely chopped walnuts or other nut or seed of choice (I recommend using nuts or seeds that have been soaked and dehydrated first. You can even find these pre-prepared now at the health food store.)